While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 772-247-2283. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Port St. Lucie weather.