As the temp rises, so does your AC costs. To keep your air conditioning expenses controlled you could be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Port St. Lucie?
It’s a common belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually a myth.
Keeping your air conditioner on all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We recommend moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re out, and turning it down when you return. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the work for you.
It’s a lot more work for your system to achieve a consistent temp all day long. It can also cause a lot of wear and tear to your equipment, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your electricity bills, it can also lead to a shorter life span for your AC.
Regardless, the larger the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your AC expenses will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your utility bills lower in the hot weather? Here are our tips based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Boost Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Change Your Temperature. The DOE affirms that you can spend up to 10% less a year on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees during the time you’re out. During the summer months, it’s recommended to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s additionally important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a colder setting than usual when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool down your house any sooner, it just leads to more expensive energy expenses. While these temperatures might seem warm, there are a number of approaches to keep comfortable without having to always run the air conditioning.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by just 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can decrease air conditioning costs by up to 14% over the course of the summer season. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not rooms. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Additionally, keeping blinds lowered and curtains closed for the duration of the day helps keep cool air inside. There are also some window treatments designed to deliver added insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky gaps all across a residence permit cooler air to quickly get out and warmer air to get inside. This could result in your AC unit needing to work harder to keep your residence cool and your energy expenses to rise. Make sure that any gaps, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick mends for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Schedule Regular Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your air conditioner is always running at its best. This allows our pro to spot little issues before they result in significant dilemmas. A clean AC unit is usually more efficient and may even run for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the greatest methods to guarantee comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adjusts the temperature based on your day-to-day schedule. It works along with your smartphone to know when you’re home or gone to maximize your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 annually on energy bills.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioning Unit. You can expect an adequately cared for AC to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly calling us for air conditioning repair or your energy expenses are skyrocketing with no change in thermostat settings, it may be time for a new system. We supply a number of energy-efficient air conditioners, such as ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without compromising comfort.
Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency with Custom Air Systems Inc
No one wants to see their energy bill climb during the warmer months. If you’re wanting more ways to keep your energy usage and expenses lower this summer, our experts can help. Give us a call at 772-247-2283 or contact us online today for extra details.