On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Custom Air Systems Inc in Port St. Lucie about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between expert cleanings.
Above all, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Custom Air Systems Inc. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Custom Air Systems Inc about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not need replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Port St. Lucie home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Custom Air Systems Inc a call at 772-247-2283.